Tuesday 21 August 2007

Chant



Become All Flame - The Desert Fathers

Abba Lot went to see Abba Joseph and said to him, 'Abba as far as I can I say my little office, I fast a little, I pray and meditate, I live in peace and as far as I can, I purify my thoughts. What else can I do?' then the old man stood up and stretched his hands towards heaven. His fingers became like ten lamps of fire and he said to him, 'If you will, you can become all flame.'


* * *

Chant from a Georgian Monastery. Worth sticking with this...




And with female voices:

2 comments:

Yewtree said...

Sounds like you're going in the same direction as me. I wish you well on your spiritual journey, wherever you end up. Blessed be!

All religions contain the potentiality for metanoia, but it's easier to find it in some than in others (and it depends on the seeker, too).

I am sure that I wouldn't have got where I am now on my path without Wicca (and I am eternally grateful to it for that), but I also feel drawn to Orthodoxy. They really do know how to pray.

Bo said...

Me too. I always have: I've been painting ikons for years now. But, you see, I was brought up a Catholic, which was in many ways distressing and unpleasant, and the idea of having to have anything to do with Jesus or the Church makes me freeze with horror.

My spirituality is, however, deeply bakhtic and my devotion to Brighid is very strong and always has been. In some ways, she is a Sophia figure: but I'm exhausted by the Pagan fondness for syncretic debate (the Black Virgin 'is' the Crone) because it's always comparing great things with less. It seems to me. But, hey, I'm a medievalist and spend a lot of my time embroiled in the Fathers and in medieval devotional imagery. It's bound to rub off, even on a Pagan. 'Post-Pagan' perhaps...
Thanks for the blessing!